Wednesday 24 February 2010

Arrived at Awanui


Today's been a big day of driving. We left Stillwater at 8am and had breakfast at Oliver's in Orewa. On a scale of 1 to 10, the poached eggs would just make a 5. I think I'll be critiquing quite a few breakfasts at cafes the length of the county over the next 5 weeks.
We got to Awanui around 3.30. It feels very tropical up here in the far north and I'm really looking forward to getting started on the ride tomorrow. Anticipation has been building as I see more and more signs pointing to Cape Reinga. Tim is due to arrive later tonight and we'll start the big push to the tip about 8am tomorrow. It feels a bit like an Everest assault - except it's 25 deg and the Cape is really just the beginning of course.

3 comments:

  1. hay Mark its Apera and tyler from room 3 from waihi east school whats it like up there is it windy up there coz it is over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mark my its diva and sapphire from waihi east school room 3 we would like to ask a question do you ride at night and where do you stay??? :) :)





    -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Apera & Tyler

    It was really windy on Friday and coming from the direction we wanted to go unfortunately - Ask Sharon what it was like on Monday. She did a great job of keeping the wind off us so we could make good progress down the beach. Saturday and Sunday were perfect for cycling.

    Diva & Saphire: No I don't ride at night. I fall asleep by about 9 o'clock. I've been staying at motor camps, in my tent or a cabin. Cabins have better beds than my tent!

    ReplyDelete