Friday 26 March 2010

Fairlie to Kurow (via Hakataramea Pass)

Day 29 - Friday 26 March 2010
Dist: 124 km. Av. Speed: 19.4 km/hr. Cal: 2145. Ride Time: 6 hours 23 min

Wow… can this country get any more stunning? I have another “must do” for all Kiwis - The Hakataramea Pass. It’s just fantastic and if you can do it on a bike, then even better. I hope the photos do it justice. The most impressive landscapes to my mind were at the northern end near where the Snow River meets Grays River and also just over the pass as you drop into the southern catchment and the headwaters of the Hakataramea River.
Aside from the amazing scenery, today was really tough! There was a strong nor-wester blowing which meant the first two hours and the last hour and a half were just hard work. The middle three hours were awesome though.
Today’s post is going to be a bit different because I’m toast and I need to get to sleep. There’s a bit of a climb and a southerly forecast for tomorrow so I’ll need to recover as quickly as I can.
So I’m just going to list all the things that were great about today. Here goes…
The muesli breakfast at ‘Eat Deli and Café’ in Fairlie.
Burke’s monument at the top of Burke’s Pass.
Reaching the top of Burke’s Pass.
My iPod.
Turning off SH8.
Looking up Hakataramea Pass and feeling the tail wind on my back at last.
Watching my speedo climb from 15 to 30+ with no extra effort.
My iPod.
The chicken wrap I had for lunch from Eat Deli and Café.
Resting for lunch, a tiny spec in the massive valley.
The awesome cloudscapes (for you Doreen).
Finding the right turnoff up the pass.
Filling my water bottle from a clear mountain stream.
Reaching the saddle of the Hakataramea Pass.
My iPod.
The brilliant view from the top looking north and south.
Blasting down the gravel descent at 45k with a tail wind.
My iPod.
Finally hitting the sealed road again.
The fact that everyone waves to you down here.
Seeing the “Kurow” sign seven and a half hours after leaving Fairlie.
The two cokes, bowl of fries and mixed grill for dinner - hey, I earned it.
The friendly welcome by the locals in Kurow.
That my EEEPC is still working after 50km of corrugations and potholes.
Washing and drying my clothes after three days being smelly.
My iPod.
My bike - it rocks.

Off to sleep now…

No comments:

Post a Comment