Monday 1 March 2010

Paparoa to Wellsford

Day 5
Tues. 02 Mar. 2010
Dist: 51 km.
Av. Spd: 18.6 km/hr.
NRG: 1018 Cal.
Ride Time: 2 hrs 44 min

Another cruisy day today, although interesting that the calorie count was higher than yesterday! It must have been the 5km gravel shortcut between Maungatoroto and SH1 along the aptly named Mountain Road.
I didn’t get going until about 11 this morning, mainly because it was so nice at the campground (I was the only person in the park) and my excuse was that I needed to wait for the sun to dry the tent out.
I re-packed everything yet another way this morning and think I’ve found the best combination yet. I lightened the weight in the handlebar bag which helped the bike’s handling and meant I had easier access to food while riding, so I could nibble all day which works really well.
I stopped for a break at Maungatoroto (a cool wee town) and had superb carrot cake and the best green tea so far. Sugarbelle’s CafĂ© is the place to stop - and the staff and customers are really friendly.
After the refuel I peddled out to Mountain Road and hit the gravel for the first time (apart from road works). I have to say that the road tyres are remarkable, even on loose gravel they never felt the slightest bit skittery and the positive difference they make in the tarmac is astounding. Mountain Road was quite slow but still way better than going via Brynderwyn and on to SH1. The only trouble was when my eyes saw gravel, may brain said “race” and with some upbeat music happening on the iPod… well I got to the end a bit sweaty shall I say. Lucky it was a short day!
Cresting the rise approaching SH1 I was confronted with a wall of vehicles going both directions, so with some trepidation I ventured out between lines of traffic and turned south. It actually turned out to be not too bad with no dodgy moments at all. The iPod certainly helps keep my mood positive and I find it also makes me use my rear view mirror more and stay more traffic aware and alert - strange as that may seem.
Slightly bigger day tomorrow as I get off SH1 and head down SH16 via the Kaipara Harbour area with my cousin Stewart. We’re meeting Almo for coffee at Silverdale, then we’ll trundle down to Shelley’s place at Stillwater for the night and a rest day on Thursday.
All’s well, and the sore bits have responded well to two short days!

4 comments:

  1. Have a nice rest day tomorrow. and Happy anniversary for tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats lucky Sharon remembered. Perhaps she could remember when ours is. Then again, she couldn't even remember the wedding. Mark, If you are passing through Nelson, there is a large horse that is keen to be re-aquainted!!!
    11 o'clock starts, carrot cake and tea, is this a challenge or is this an old mans lifestyle.
    Keith and Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. HiMark,
    I am glad the trip has started so well. I am feeling a tad envious. Its a great lifestyle on the road with ya bike. can you e mail me you exact route from Miranda so I can meet you enroute to Hamilton.
    martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sharon - which Sharon tho? I had already remembered, it's written in my trip plan. I thought I'd take the day off to celebrate. Will catch you on Friday...

    Gotta keep the energy levels up Keith - there's some good cake out there mate, it needs to be sampled. Carrot cake is health food isn't it?

    Martin I can't email from this computer. I think Butsy has the route? Either that or Shari might be able to find it on the iMac and email it from there. Sorry. Either that or just get to Miranda on Friday night?

    ReplyDelete